Google has released a significant update to its Photos app, called the “largest update for Memories since the feature’s launch in 2020.” Google notes that Memories is quite popular, with around 3.5 billion views per month.
Immerse yourself in your Memories
- Memory has been recreated to transport you back in time. You’ll see more videos, including the greatest excerpts from your longer recordings, that Photos will automatically select and cut so you can relive the most memorable moments.
- Because of the modest zoom that adds movement to your memories, even motionless photographs will feel more alive.
- To tie everything together, we’ll begin adding instrumental music to some memories next month. It’s incredible how the combination of movement, video, and music transports you to your memories. I frequently find myself replaying these new memories, especially those of my children.
See your Memories brought to life
It’s difficult to manually navigate through your collection to recall crucial occasions when you have hundreds of photos. That’s my favourite feature of Memories: Google Photos performs the work of resurfacing those memories for you to reminisce about. I enjoy seeing old images in new ways using creative edits such as animations, cinematic photos, and collages. Since its release in 2020, cinematic photographs—the bright, animated, 3D representations of your photos presented in Memories—have quickly become one of our most-saved visual effects.
- Cinematic Memories, which transform several still photographs into an end-to-end cinematic experience that transports you back in time.
- It will also include music, making your photos feel more like a film. Drawing inspiration from vintage scrapbooks, we’re also introducing Styles, a new feature that automatically adds visual art to your memories to make them stand out.
- At launch, there will be a variety of designs, including limited-time versions made by featured artists Shantell Martin and Lisa Congdon just for Google Photos.
Google Photos Share your Memories
Your Google Photos Memories are only visible to you, but we understand that there may be moments when you wish to share them with family and friends. In fact, this has been the most frequently requested feature. I’m always excited to share memories from a trip I went on with friends or pictures of my twins doing something sweet.
Get creative with easy editing tools
- Do you want to exhibit your creativity and personalize it? Simple editing tools such as smart recommendations and Real Tone filters are just a few examples.
- You can quickly build shareable collages using the new collage editor. Choose your photographs, design (including styles from featured artists), and quickly alter the arrangement using simple drag-and-drop controls.
- You can even modify the photographs directly in the collage editor, adjusting brightness and contrast, applying effects, and so on.
- Members of Google One and Pixel may also use extra editing options like Portrait Light or HDR within their collages, as well as access more than 30 additional designs.
Google Photos Update Availability
The update is being rolled out gradually by Google. Google Photos now allows you to share whole Memories with friends and family with just a few taps on Android (with iOS and Web coming soon), so they can view them directly from Google Photos on any device.