Nothing Ear (2), the company’s latest flagship TWS earbuds, were launched in India and global markets as promised. It retains its transparent design but adds several features such as Hi-Res Audio certification and LHDC 5.0 technology, which allows it to transmit frequencies up to 24 bit/192 kHz at speeds of up to 1 Mbps.
Nothing Ear (2): Features
Audio, AI noise reduction and ANC
The earbuds have an 11.6 mm custom driver with a new dual-chamber design that improves overall sound quality by allowing for smoother airflow. It also has Dual Connection for simple device switching, as well as improved wind- and crowd-proof Clear Voice Technology, which employs an AI noise reduction algorithm capable of filtering out over 20 million sound samples. The personalized active noise cancellation adapts to the unique shape of the ear canal of the user.
Nothing X App
The Nothing X app adds several new features, including a personal sound profile with hearing ID and the ability to adjust equalizer settings in real-time to match the user’s hearing for an optimal listening experience.
It still offers up to 40 dB of noise reduction, but personalised active noise cancellation offers noise cancellation based on the exact shape of a user’s ear canal, as well as adaptive mode, which automatically adjusts the noise reduction level based on your environment in real-time.
To avoid accidental touches and the discomfort of tapping into the ear canal, the touch controls have been replaced with press controls. With a single press, you can skip tracks, switch between noise cancellation modes, and adjust volume. The controls in the Nothing X app can be customized.
Build and Battery Life
The earbuds have an IP54 dust and water resistance rating, up from IPX4 in their predecessor, and the case has an IP55 rating as well. Because the case is smaller, the battery is 485 mAh versus 570 mAh in the Ear (1), but the improved audio chip promises up to 36 hours of total music playback without ANC versus 34 hours in the older model.
Without ANC, the standalone battery life has increased from 5.7 hours to 6.3 hours. It also has fast charging capabilities, with a 10-minute charge lasting up to 8 hours. It still has Qi wireless charging capabilities of up to 2.5W and can reverse-charge compatible devices such as the Nothing Phone (1).
Nothing Ear (2): Quick Specs
- Dimensions Earbud: 29.4×21.5x 23.5mm;Charging box: 55.5×55.5×22mm
- Weight: Earbud: 4.5g; Charging box: 51.9 g
- Driver Size: 11.6mm dynamic driver, dual chamber design
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.3, AAC, SBC, LHDC 5.0 codecs, Hi-Res audio, compatible with Android 5.1 and later and iOS 11 and later, Google Fast Pair, Microsoft Swift Pair, Dual Connection
- Low Lag Mode (Automatically enabled in Phone (1) can be enabled from app for others)
- Up to 40db Personalised ANC, Environment Adaptive ANC, Frequency range: 5000Hz
- Smart Adaptive Noise cancellation with 4 modes (High, Mid, Low and Adaptive), Transparency mode
- Clear Voice Technology for call noise cancellation with 3-mics, improved wind noise resistance
- IP Rating: Water-resistant (IP54 for buds, IP55 for case)
- Battery: 33mAh battery in buds offers up to 6.3 hours (without ANC) / 4 hours (with ANC) music playback, 36h (without ANC) / 22.5h (with ANC) with 485mAh charging case, Qi wireless charging up to 2.5W
- Fast charging– 10 mins for 8 hours (without ANC)
- Smart Features: Press controls for play/pause, skip forward, skip back, answer/hang up calls, reject calls, switch between Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency Mode, launch assistant, control volume
Pricing and Availability
The Nothing Ear (2) costs Rs. 9,999 in India and £129 or $149 globally. It will be available online at Flipkart and Myntra, as well as in select offline stores, beginning March 28th at 12 noon.
Carl Pei, CEO and Co-Founder of Nothing, commented on the launch: