Apple yesterday held its “Far Out” event, and while it announced a slew of hardware devices, the iPhone 14 Pro phones have to be the standout. Apple also unveiled the iPhone 14 Pro and the iPhone 14 Pro Max, which include a new display design, notable camera advancements, and other features, in addition to the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus. Here are all the details.
Apple iPhone 14 Pro, Pro Max: Features
The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max do away with the infamous notch in favour of an elongated pill-shaped notch, as we’ve been hearing. And the notch isn’t just there for show. With the help of the Dynamic Island feature, it displays the charges, ongoing calls, notifications, and much more. The TrueDepth camera requires less space now. The iPhone 14 Pro has a 6.1-inch display, while the 14 Pro Max has a larger 6.7-inch display. Both have a Super Retina XDR display, AOD functionality, ProMotion for a 120Hz refresh rate, and a peak brightness of 2000 nits. The phones are shielded by a layer of Ceramic Shield.
Another draw is the camera department. It has a 48MP main camera with a quad-pixel sensor (a first for Apple), which promises 2x better low-light photos. The primary camera has sensor-shift optical image stabilisation. This is also possible with the new Photonic Engine Support, which employs Deep Fusion to improve image quality. A 12MP ultra-wide lens and a 12MP telephoto camera are also included. A new Action mode, a new 12MP TrueDepth camera, a new Adaptive True Tone flash with 9 LEDs, Night Mode, Smart HDR 4, Portrait Mode with Portrait Lighting, Cinematic Mode, ProRes, ProRAW, Dolby Vision HDR for videos, and more are all supported.
The iPhone 14 Pro Series is powered by the latest A16 Bionic chipset, which promises 40% faster performance and a 50% better GPU than previous generations. It employs a fusion architecture to improve performance while consuming less power. Another intriguing inclusion, which has long been rumoured, is emergency SOS via satellite for messaging and emergency services when there is no cellular or Wi-Fi connectivity. This feature can also be used to share a user’s location with Find My. This will be available in the United States and Canada in November and will be free for the first two years. There is no word on when it will be available in India or other countries.
The iPhone 14 Pro and 14 Pro Max, like the Apple Watch Series 8, have crash detection. All-day battery life with up to 29 hours of video playback, up to 95 hours of audio playback, and a 20W fast charger are included with the iPhone 14 Pro models. They are running iOS 16, which will be available to everyone on September 12. Furthermore, even in the absence of an Apple Watch, the new iPhones and even older models will receive Apple Fitness+ later this fall. The IP68 rating is also supported by the new 2022 iPhones.
- iPhone 14 Pro dimensions: 147.5×71.5×7.85mm; Weight: 206g
- iPhone 14 Pro Max dimensions: 160.7×77.6×7.85mm; Weight: 240g
- iPhone 14 Pro Display : 6.1-inch (2556×1179 pixels) OLED 460ppi Super Retina XDR display, 1000 nits brightness, up to 2000 nits brightness, HDR, True Tone, Dynamic Island, Always-On display, ProMotion technology with adaptive refresh rates up to 120Hz, Ceramic Shield protection
- iPhone 14 Pro Max Display: 6.7-inch (2796×1290 pixels) OLED 460ppi Super Retina XDR display, 800 nits brightness, up to 1200 nits brightness, HDR, True Tone, Ceramic Shield protection
- OS: iOS 16
- Processor: Six-Core A16 (2 performance and 4 efficiency cores) Bionic 5nm chip with 64-bit architecture, 4‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
- Camera: 48MP wide-angle (f/1.78) camera, 7P lens, second-generation sensor-shift optical image stabilisation for video, 2x Telephoto, 100% Focus Pixels, Photonic Engine, True Tone flash, HDR video recording with Dolby Vision at 4K 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240fps, Cinematic mode up to 4K HDR at 30 fps, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide (f/2.2) secondary camera, 6P lens, 12MP 3x Telephoto (ƒ/2.8) camera, optical image stabilisation, 6P lens, 3x optical zoom in, 2x optical zoom out; 6x optical zoom range; digital zoom up to 15x, 12MP TrueDepth (ƒ/1.9) front camera, Autofocus with Focus Pixels, Retina Flash, HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 4K at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 120fps
- Storage: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB storage options
- Connectivity: Dual SIM (nano + eSIM), 5G (sub‑6 GHz) with 4×4 MIMO, Gigabit-class LTE, 802.11ax Wi-Fi 6 with 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.3, Ultra Wideband chip for spatial awareness, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- IP Rating: Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Battery: Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with 15W MagSafe wireless charging, fast charging, up to 23 hours (iPhone 14 Pro) / 29 hours (iPhone 14 Pro Max) of video playback
- Colors: Space Black, Silver, Gold and Deep Purple
- Warranty: 1 year
Pricing and availability
The iPhone 14 Pro series will be available in India through Apple Authorized Resellers beginning September 16th, with pre-orders beginning September 9th at 5:30PM IST. The Apple iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max are available in Space Black, Silver, Gold, and Deep Purple, with storage capacities of 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB.
- iPhone 14 Pro 128GB– Rs. 1,29,900
- iPhone 14 Pro 256GB– Rs. 1,39,900
- iPhone 14 Pro 512GB – Rs. 1,59,900
- iPhone 14 Pro 1TB – Rs. 1,79,900
- iPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB– Rs. 1,39,900
- iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB– Rs. 1,49,900
- iPhone 14 Pro Max 512GB – Rs. 1,69,900
- iPhone 14 Pro Max 1TB – Rs. 1,89,900