The days of small Android flagships are numbered, but at least one company is still trying. This week, the Asus Zenfone 9 came out, showing the world what a great little phone it is.
The Asus Zenfone 8 was one of the only small Android phones to come out last year. It had a 5.9-inch screen, but the same core processor and other specs as everything else.
Now, the Asus Zenfone 9 is getting ready to do the same thing. TechGoing found an Asus video that has supposedly been taken down since then. The video shows the new look of the Zenfone 9 and goes over the specs of the upcoming phone.
From the video, we know that the Zenfone 9 will have the same small 5.9-inch screen as its predecessors. The screen has an AMOLED panel with a 120Hz refresh rate and a hole for a selfie camera.
Supposed specs for the ASUS Zenfone 9
- 5.9-inch (2400 1080 pixels) display with a 120Hz refresh rate and a Full HD+ AMOLED HDR 10+ 20:9 aspect ratio.
- Octa Core Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno next-gen GPU, up to 3.2GHz
- Android 12 Dual SIM 50MP camera with Sony IMX766 sensor, six-axis gimbal stabilization, 12MP ultra-wide camera, and 8K video
- 3.5mm audio jack, stereo speakers
- Water-and dust-proof (IP68)
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ax 6E, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, Galileo(E1+E5a), QZSS(L1+L5), NavIC(L5), USB Type-C, NFC, 4300mAh (typical) with fast charging
The camera hardware also looks pretty interesting. The main camera uses a 50MP Sony IMX766 sensor, which is also used in the Nothing Phone, the OnePlus 9RT, and the Oppo Find X5/Pro. Asus says that the sensor is stabilized by being attached to a “gimbal module.”
Two stereo speakers and a fingerprint sensor built into the power button on the side finish things off. There’s even a headphone jack, which goes against what almost every other high-end Android phone has done in recent years, which is to get rid of the audio port. There are four colors for the phone: black, white, blue, and red.
We don’t yet know how much the Asus Zenfone 9 will cost, but it should be out soon. The Zenfone 8 series went on sale in late June of last year.
With this device, Asus is also releasing some new accessories, such as a kickstand case and a “Smart Backpack Mount” that lets you record without using your hands and can be attached to a leash.